Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Confetti Eggs!


Talk about going back to my childhood in Texas! My sisters and I used to make these fun colored hollowed out eggs filled with confetti every Easter with my cousins. We'd all sit around the kitchen table and use our markers and decorate them. On Easter Sunday after church our parents would hide them in the backyard and off we went with our baskets in our Easter-Sunday-Best outfit looking for the plastic eggs and of course the good ol' confetti eggs...and when you least expected it WHAM!  Your sister or cousin smashed a confetti egg on your head! 

Good ol' all American Easter fun!

So this year I thought I would continue the tradition and ship some off to my niece and nephew back east. He he they don't know what's coming! Hope they can find them in the snow :) I heard Spring was delayed!

Here's how to make the eggs. You will need:

1  Easter Egg dye kit
1-2 dozen eggs
5 small bowls with water
Small bag of confetti
Round 1.5" Stickers or tape of your choice.
Newspaper 


With the end of a butter knife tap the end of each egg gently and make a small cut, shake the white and yolk out. It takes a bit of practice but if you are persistent it will work, or make the hole a little bigger, chip off a bit with your fingers. Rinse the egg out with cool water and place on newspaper. You will have many eggs cracked so I recommend you bake a cake and an omelette with the remains.

Place each dye tablet in small bowls filled with water.  Big enough to submerge an egg all the way. Do all this over a newspaper so that it will soak any water and help with the mess.


The egg shells will take about 5-10 mins to color, the longer you keep them in the dye solution the richer the color. After the eggs are dyed remove them and drain upside down, carefully placed in the egg carton. Allow to dry for about half hour or so. 


Place the dyed eggs upside down so all the fluid runs out and into the egg crate while drying.


Allow to dry for about half hour or so. You don't want to put confetti inside the egg when it's still wet. 


Gently add confetti to each egg, fill to about 1/3. OK I'm bad. I didn't have any confetti and I had to hurry up and mail them or they wouldn't arrive in time so I improvised and used shredded paper, yes my bank statements and credit card offers are in this years 'confetti' eggs. I guess I should have called this blog post "Shredded Paper Eggs" instead :)


You can seal the hole with beautiful round stickers about 1.5" or use tape, as I did and put little stickers on them. If you have kids have them decorate the eggs with markers, glitter, stickers etc. THIS kid likes them in solid colors, or maybe I just didn't have time to decorate! He he. 

Happy Hunting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment