Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day Dad!

Father's Day or Dia de los Padres as my father from Mexico would say, was always a special day in our family when I was growing up. Held with the traditional BBQ, plenty of good food and of course cold ones in the fridge for him, we would shower him with gifts. Gifts such as ties, socks, a hand painted or handmade something or anything with a maritime theme as he loved the ocean and ships. 

My Dad was a Mexican Diplomat and with his amazing career my sisters and I grew up exploring the world with my parents. In our adventures he always came up with a joke or two, and made light of awkward lost in translation scenarios we'd get ourselves into. 

Looks like a cold one in his hand!

Did I say he was hard working?

Aboard the Cuauhtecmoc ship "working"! 

I never forgot when we were in Rome he would say "merci beaucoup" to the waiters or street vendors and my mother had to remind him we were in Italy. Or the time we were in France and he ordered "frites" and thought he was getting french fries with his steak and got potato chips! My personal favorite was the time we had ordered pizza in Paris and it came with a fried egg on top you can imagine the look on my face! Because of him we always made an effort to try new food no matter if the eye was still on our fish starring at us! 

I owe my love and appreciation for fine food and the endless curiosity to try new things at least once, to him. Thanks Dad for all the food bribes when I was young!  For convincing us it was worth a taste at least once. As my sisters and I tasted the unknown with eyes closed and gagged we still tried it for the sake of I don't know what but it paid off as an adult!! 
I confess... I'm addicted and I'm a foodie!

Buen appetito, Dad!

We miss and love you, your daughters xoxo

Amazing garden urn!

1 comment:

  1. what a lovely tribute! thank you for sharing your memories on this special day.

    ReplyDelete